Donda’s House turns 5 this year! Since 2013 our programming has served 500 + artists in the name of Dr. Donda West, who during her life was instrumental in the artistic development of her son Kanye West, Che “Rhymefest” Smith and countless artists, educators and students. Dr. West was a Doctor of Education, Professor of English, curriculum designer, Fulbright Scholar, entertainment manager and more. She pushed young people to reach their full potential, and to always tell their personal truth in their art. Her principles and philosophies are very much still alive in our programming. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a Dr. Donda West, but everyone can access Donda’s House!
In honor of Dr. Donda West, we will be highlighting the loving relationship between artists and their mothers the entire month of May. We would like for you to participate by creating a verse or visual piece dedicated to your mother, or a prominent mother figure in your life accompanied by Kanye’s “Hey Mama” instrumental. Your support will go a long way in helping us bring awareness to the work we’re doing in the community, and the projects we have in the pipeline to have greater impact.
How to Participate
- Create a verse or visual piece utilizing the Hey Mama instrumental as a beat or background music (Be creative!).
- Record yourself rapping, singing, dancing, etc. or creating your visual piece (for example a slideshow of images) on video (1 minute or less).
- Upload your video to Instagram with the hashtag #HeyMamaChallenge, tagging @DondasHouse & three of your friends you’d like to see participate.
- Submit your video here, so that we can archive your video on our website!
- Please Donate! Your participation is donation enough because you’re raising awareness of DH, but we could use help building the first Litehouse & providing free educational services too! Like Donda, there are so many mothers and mother figures who deserve love and light. If you would like to donate in memory of someone, you can make your contribution here, and then e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, the person you are donating to (include their name and a message of 140 characters or less), and we will post the name and your message on our website until May 30, 2018! Be sure to include the e-mail address used on Paypal and the amount for verification purposes!
- Don’t forget to share it with your mother, or prominent mother figure as well!
We will choose some of our favorite videos to post on our our social media and website all month. Follow @DondasHouse and check this page frequently for updates.
Download Track Here