AARP, Chicago Sky & Donda’s House present the “Redefining Possible” Mentorship Program. Mentorship provides incredible benefits for both the mentee and the mentor. The mentee receives individualized support providing a huge advantage to navigate professional challenges and opportunities. The mentor has the opportunity to refine and share expertise, while also enhancing communication and coaching skills. In a study by Sun Microsystems, “both mentors and mentees were approximately 20% more likely to get a raise than people who did not participate in the mentoring program.” Additionally “employees who received mentoring were promoted FIVE times more often than people who didn’t have mentors.” Finally “mentors were six times more likely to have been promoted to a bigger job.” Redefining Possible provides young ambitious women with the support that they need but may not otherwise have access to, and empowers professionals to honor their values by volunteering to provide support.
Young Entrepreneurial Women ages 18 – 24 in the Chicagoland area, are invited to apply to join this inaugural cohort. The ideal mentee candidate:
- Has an idea of her desired career path or industry
- Has completed High School or earned a GED
- Seeks professional guidance and support from an accomplished professional
Professionals of all ages in the Chicagoland area, are invited to apply to become mentors. The ideal candidate:
- Is passionate about his/her industry and/or role
- Has great communication and follow-up skills
- Seeks to be philanthropic and wants to get involved in impacting Chicago in a positive way
- Both mentors & mentees agree to check in for at least 30 minutes on a monthly basis via phone or in person
- Both mentors & mentees agree to participate in a quarterly group session
- Both mentors & mentees agree to provide feedback about the status of the mentoring relationship and the progress on the initial goal
- Both mentors & mentees agree to help recruit the next cohort
Please note, all candidates will be notified via e-mail on or before June 1, 2017.
Program Orientation and kick-off meeting will take place during the week of June 12th.
Click the links below to apply. Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. CST, on Friday, May 19, 2017.
Mentee Application click here.
Mentor Application click here.